If your student’s goals shift during the course of their studies, be understanding. It is common for students to discover new academic avenues that may not match their original plans. The broad range of curricular and co-curricular opportunities at U of T often helps students find passions and talents they never knew existed.
Supporting your student’s career development:
- Encourage them to access their campus career centre for advice;
- Career change is common nowadays; try not to see decisions as setting a narrow course for life;
- Tell them your story, but know that their approaches, needs and realities may be significantly different from yours;
- Allow them the latitude to explore options and make their own decisions; and
- Suggest they get involved in life outside the classroom; these are important skill-building opportunities as well as good additions to a resume.